Phone : 0092 300 7786573

Advances in Animal and Veterinary Sciences

Research Article
Adv. Anim. Vet. Sci. 5(3): 127-132
Http://dx.doi.org/10.14737/journal.aavs/2017/5.3.127.132
View Full HTML
Download PDF

Amr Abd El-Wahab, Abeer Aziza

Department of Nutrition and Nutritional Deficiency Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Mansoura University, 35516 Mansoura, Egypt.
 
Abstract | This study examined the effects of different oil sources and levels in diets of broilers on growth performance and serum metabolites. A total of 210 one day old broilers were allotted to 7 dietary groups. Diets were formulated, based corn and soybean meal, with different oil sources and levels: Control group was fed based diet with addition of 3% mixed oil (soybean oil and sunflower oil), and other diets were added 2% and 4% of linseed oil (LO), fish oil (FO), or soybean oil (SO) over 38 days. Body weight, body weight gain, and feed conversion were determined at day 21 and 38. At trials’ end, liver, spleen and bursa of Fabricius were weighted. Serum total protein and albumin were measured, too. The results of growth performance showed that supplementation of 4% LO to the basal diet significantly increased the body weight gain of broiler chickens at day 21 and 38: (664 and 1046 g, respectively). The best dressing percentage was recorded in group fed 4% LO: (71.55%). A significant increase in total serum protein and globulin was noted in broilers fed 2% FO. In conclusion, supplementation with either 2% or 4% LO to broiler diets has more significant impacts on growth performance, while addition of FO improved immunity.

Keywords | Oils, Performance, Serum, Broilers