Journal of Animal Health and Production

Research Article
J. Anim. Health Prod. 9(1): 33-39
Http://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.jahp/2021/9.1.33.39
View Full HTML
Download PDF

Sang-Hwan Kim*

Institute of Genetic Engineering, Hankyong National University, 327, Jungang-ro, Ansung, Gyeonggi-do, 17579, Korea.

Abstract | The present study aimed to evaluate the genetic distance between Korean native chickens (red plumage, red-line plumage, and Ogol) and white leghorn and identify specific DNA markers using the random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD)-PCR method. Genomic DNA was extracted from the plumage of chickens after they were slaughtered. RAPD analysis was performed using 12 different primers to determine the genetic relationship among the chickens. Statistical analysis was performed for estimating the genetic distance among the chickens and a cluster tree was constructed using the MEGA 5.05 software. The percentage of polymorphic bands was 72% and the remaining 28% was monomorpic. The largest genetic distance (2.266) was found between native chickens (red, red-line) and Ogol chickens by UPGMA method and the close proximity was observed among the Ogol in Korean chickens as expected. Dendrogram analysis showed two clusters, I and II, and most of the Ogol chickens were placed in subcluster IIB within cluster II, indicating that the expression of Ogol color could be due to original and ancestral genetic crossing. Thus, genetic diversity analysis provides important data for the identification of chickens.

Keywords | RAPD, UPGMA, MC1R, Plumage color, Korean native chicken