Journal of Animal Health and Production

Research Article
J. Anim. Health Prod. 8(3): 122-129
Http://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.jahp/2020/8.3.122.129
View Full HTML
Download PDF

Albert Chounna1*, Fernand Tendonkeng2, Henry Defang Fualefac2, Jules Lemoufouet2, Emile Miegoue2, Hippolyte Mekuiko Watsop2, Hassan Abdelkerim Mbodou2, Etienne Pamo Tedonkeng2

1Maroua National Center for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Training, Cameroon; 2Department of Animal Productions, Faculty of Agronomy and Agricultural Sciences (FASA), University of Dschang, Cameroon, P.O.Box 222 Dschang, Cameroon

Abstract | This study was carried out to determine the effect of plantain leaves ash extract and the source of rumen fluid on in vitro digestibility of rice straw complemented with Calliandra calothyrsus leaves. At the beginning of the trial, the dry leaves of plantain harvested from vicinity of the University of Dschang Research Farm (UDRF), sundried and were ashed on concrete clean surfaces to obtain ash. Subsequently 50, 100 or 150 g of this ash were each dissolved in 1 liter of distilled water to obtain ash extracts solutions. Two sources of rumen fluid (sheep and goat) were collected separately and incubated with four diets (untreated or treated rice straw (70%) and Calliandra calothyrsus leaves (30%)(w/w basis)) each, in triplicate in a two-ways analysis of variance according to the test gas method. The results showed that with the exception of residual nitrogen (N-NDF) and microbial mass (MM) that were similar (p>0.05), all other parameters of the in vitro digestibility of rice straw were significantly (p<0.05) influenced by ash extract treatment irrespective of the rumen fluid source considered. The gas produced (32.06 ± 0.6 and 32.90 ± 0.09 ml), volatile fatty acid (0.70 ± 0.05 and 0.72 ± 0.001 mmol/ml), metabolisable energy (7.09±0.05 and 7.21 ± 0.01 MJ/kg/DM) and in vitro digestibility of organic matter (48.37 ± 0.33 and 55.65 ± 0.13%) obtained with rice straw treated with plantain ash extract from 50 and 100g ash mixed with C. calothyrsus diets respectively were significantly (p<0.05) higher with goat rumen fluid. In contrast, treatment of rice straw with ash extract (86.79 ± 3.85 and 85.27 ± 1.73 mg) significantly (p<0.05) decreased microbial mass compared to untreated straw (103.94 ± 1.64 mg). From the above, therefore it can be concluded that treating rice straw with plantain leaves ash extract improved digestibility in small ruminants.

Keywords | Ash extract treatment, In vitro digestibility, Rice straw, Rumen fluid source